Our mission “is to inspire innovation by promoting Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education in the community with hands on experience building competitive robots.”
The Newman Robotics Team 4618 is a FIRST Robotics team made up of students from Cardinal Newman Catholic Secondary School in Stoney Creek, Ontario.
Newman Robotics was founded in 2011, since then the team has grown into a healthy organization composed of students, teachers, and mentors. For the past three years, Team 4618 has competed in competitions all over Ontario and we hope to soon make it to the world competition held in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. We have been helping our community through education and community service.
Our team has inspired many others within the school as well as in the community, to gain interest in science and innovation. We have recently started mentoring “First Lego League” (FLL) Teams at our local feeder schools.
Our goal is to inspire fellow students to get involved in their school as well as our team once they start attending Cardinal Newman.
Our plan for this year and the future is to continue to promote science and innovation to those in our community. We plan to attend the Waterloo Regional this year as well as a second competition.
• Teamwork – We believe working together as one mind is more important than succeeding independently.
• Innovate- We believe that listening to each other’s ideas and challenging one another will inspire innovation.
• Inspire – We are committed to encouraging each other to achieve excellence.
• Hard-work – We are dedicated to rolling up our sleeves and giving our 100% effort to accomplish our goals.
• Educate – We are dedicated to educating students within our community on the benefits of STEM education.
• Acceptance – We are committed to building a team atmosphere where all ideas will be discussed and considered.
• Self Confidence – We are committed to speaking with each other in a positive manner to help promote our self-esteem and confidence
2011/12 -Six students and one teacher representative started the robotics program at Cardinal Newman.
2012/13 -Built “Skittles” for Ultimate Ascent Challenge -Competed at Waterloo Regional Competition, advanced to semifinals
2013/14 -Built “Dusty” for Aerial Assist Challenge -Competed at Greater Toronto East Competition, advanced to semifinals
2014/15 -Built “Rattles” for Recycle Rush Challenge -Competed at Waterloo Regional Competition, placed 10th, advanced to quarterfinals -Competed at Windsor Regional Competition, advanced to quarterfinals
2015/16- Built “Mike” for FIRST Stronghold Challenge – Competed at Greater Toronto East Competition, advanced to Semifinals – Competed at Waterloo Regional, Placed 6th, advanced to quarterfinals, was 6th alliance leader.